Sophy Hollington is a woman of many, many talents. As well as being one of It’s Nice That’s illustration crushes Sophy also plays guitar in psychedelic quartet Novella, which released its second album Change of State earlier this year.
Sophy’s multitalented fingers cut the finest lino prints and speedily pluck guitar strings but this week she has put her hands to work making a Friday Mixtape to laze about it to this long weekend.
Why have you picked these songs?
There’s not a theme really, it’s just what I’m listening to at the moment along with some old favourites. I tried to make a playlist that wasn’t overly sad. Sad songs are my catnip.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager and why?
The Nuggets and Pebbles compilations made a lasting impression on me. My favourite track off any of those is Phil and the Frantics I Must Run. It’s a re-hash of The Zombies I Must Move but they really nail the melancholy with the oohs.
What song or album is consistently playing in your studio and why?
The Vince Guaraldi Trio album A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing, makes for great working music. I find it quite distracting listening to music with singing when I’m trying to think or draw. Then when I’m carving a block I’ll pop on a This American Life or another podcast as I’ll generally be there for days and need the company.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue by Them.
- Alice Zoo documents the real day-to-day lives of performers in a travelling circus
- Jenny Schweitzer's latest short is an uplifting account of life in an American retirement home
- Next 2 Nothing is the how-to manual of tips and tricks for any aspiring filmmaker
- Haleigh Mun on finding her own illustrative style rather than trying to be a “cool artist”
- Genuine collaborations inform Swiss design studio Omnigroup's broad practice
- Filmmaker Duncan Cowles on how your own tone of voice can create the best audience reaction
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice