Sophy Hollington is a woman of many, many talents. As well as being one of It’s Nice That’s illustration crushes Sophy also plays guitar in psychedelic quartet Novella, which released its second album Change of State earlier this year.
Sophy’s multitalented fingers cut the finest lino prints and speedily pluck guitar strings but this week she has put her hands to work making a Friday Mixtape to laze about it to this long weekend.
Why have you picked these songs?
There’s not a theme really, it’s just what I’m listening to at the moment along with some old favourites. I tried to make a playlist that wasn’t overly sad. Sad songs are my catnip.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager and why?
The Nuggets and Pebbles compilations made a lasting impression on me. My favourite track off any of those is Phil and the Frantics I Must Run. It’s a re-hash of The Zombies I Must Move but they really nail the melancholy with the oohs.
What song or album is consistently playing in your studio and why?
The Vince Guaraldi Trio album A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing, makes for great working music. I find it quite distracting listening to music with singing when I’m trying to think or draw. Then when I’m carving a block I’ll pop on a This American Life or another podcast as I’ll generally be there for days and need the company.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue by Them.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled