Sophy Hollington is a woman of many, many talents. As well as being one of It’s Nice That’s illustration crushes Sophy also plays guitar in psychedelic quartet Novella, which released its second album Change of State earlier this year.
Sophy’s multitalented fingers cut the finest lino prints and speedily pluck guitar strings but this week she has put her hands to work making a Friday Mixtape to laze about it to this long weekend.
Why have you picked these songs?
There’s not a theme really, it’s just what I’m listening to at the moment along with some old favourites. I tried to make a playlist that wasn’t overly sad. Sad songs are my catnip.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager and why?
The Nuggets and Pebbles compilations made a lasting impression on me. My favourite track off any of those is Phil and the Frantics I Must Run. It’s a re-hash of The Zombies I Must Move but they really nail the melancholy with the oohs.
What song or album is consistently playing in your studio and why?
The Vince Guaraldi Trio album A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing, makes for great working music. I find it quite distracting listening to music with singing when I’m trying to think or draw. Then when I’m carving a block I’ll pop on a This American Life or another podcast as I’ll generally be there for days and need the company.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue by Them.
- Food for thought on the day the Global Climate Strike begins
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!