Sophy Hollington is a woman of many, many talents. As well as being one of It’s Nice That’s illustration crushes Sophy also plays guitar in psychedelic quartet Novella, which released its second album Change of State earlier this year.
Sophy’s multitalented fingers cut the finest lino prints and speedily pluck guitar strings but this week she has put her hands to work making a Friday Mixtape to laze about it to this long weekend.
Why have you picked these songs?
There’s not a theme really, it’s just what I’m listening to at the moment along with some old favourites. I tried to make a playlist that wasn’t overly sad. Sad songs are my catnip.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
In a bubble bath with a glass of white wine.
What song or album did you listen to as a teenager and why?
The Nuggets and Pebbles compilations made a lasting impression on me. My favourite track off any of those is Phil and the Frantics I Must Run. It’s a re-hash of The Zombies I Must Move but they really nail the melancholy with the oohs.
What song or album is consistently playing in your studio and why?
The Vince Guaraldi Trio album A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing, makes for great working music. I find it quite distracting listening to music with singing when I’m trying to think or draw. Then when I’m carving a block I’ll pop on a This American Life or another podcast as I’ll generally be there for days and need the company.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue by Them.
- Photographer Eli Durst's series Pinnacle Realty challenges stereotypes of suburban America
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham