Meet Dave. Dave lives in a place called Here, an island where not a lot happens. It’s surrounded by a grey, ambiguous expanse called There, which the residents of Here avoid thinking about. Until one day, something issn’t quite right, and thoughts of the unknown begin creeping into Dave’s head…
The world of pruned hedges, and perfectly-parked cars begins to seem absurd, and Dave’s typically hairless face starts to grow a beard. It starts off with one hair, and within a day, he’s grown a fully fledged beard any man would be jealous of. The beard grows, and grows, and grows, and as a result, Dave becomes the centre of attention in this otherwise orderly town.
At first labelled a freak, the people of Here begin to realise that in fact, the abnormal “evil” beard is something to be celebrated. Stephen Collins’ graphic novel The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil is a witty and surreal response to conformity, and how we should embrace our differences. Accompanied by incredible pencil drawings, you will be blown away by the quality, and be humbled by the underlying message. The book will be available from May 9, published by Jonathan Cape.
- Meet the speakers: Dougal Wilson, Ewen Spencer, GraphicDesign& and Gal-dem
- Claire Hentschker: the artist who recreated The Shining as an interactive 3D space
- Rosanna Webster and Phoebe Henry’s cinematic portrait of Cuba
- Alex Hunting’s crisp editorial designs are considered and multi-layered
- Raine Allen Miller’s latest ad shows kids experiencing the “side effects” of tech toys
- Colin Pantall's warm depiction of childhood and fatherhood taken over 12 years
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner