We might be one man down but we’re one woman stronger for this week’s Studio Audience. James Cartwright may be guzzling wine and nibbling cheese in France but, you know what, we’re having just as much fun discussing art exhibitions and darstardly good videos right here in the studio. You can listen using the SoundCloud embed below or you can subscribe via iTunes here.
It’s the subject of our most popular article on the site at the moment, so we kick off with Matthew Frost’s sensational and satirical video Aspirational starring Kirsten Dunst. Has our obsession with social media reached new levels of absurdity, we wonder, when an actress who’s dazzled on our screens since Jumanji and Little Women is worth nothing more to her fans than a selfie snap?
Constructing Worlds opens at the Barbican Art Gallery today and I, for one, think it’s brilliant. We discuss the architecture of the exhibition space itself, the work on show – from Berenice Abbott’s snaps of 1930s New York to Iwan Baan’s pictures of the repopulation of an abandoned development in Venezuela – and the overarching narrative.
After the break we turn to Ai Weiwei’s latest exhibition @Large; an installation in Alcatraz – once prison, now tourist attraction – and ponder politics and the practicalities of setting up a show on the other side of the ocean.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!