It’s that time of the week again, you’re ready to wind down to your two day break but what are you going to do with your weekend? Well, it’s scientifically proven that you’ll need need at least 22 minutes of art and design related discussion to help you truly relax. If you’re unable to get the right dose there’s a dangerous risk of hair loss, hernias and raised blood pressure. So crank up the volume (not too loud now) and let us soothe your tired ears with our made-for-radio voices informing you about all this week’s most exciting creative news.
In the first section this week we discussed the arrival of Pick Me Up at London’s Somerset house, mourned the loss of Picasso’s Child With a Dove from Britain’s art collection and played around with Moniker’s new interactive video for Dutch band Light Light. We also had a look at Sebastiao Slagado’s new book for Taschen, Genesis, and wondered whether Coachella has more appeal than Glastonbury.
First up in the second section we discussed the Salone Internazionale del Mobile and some of the great work on display, and hoped to learn some lessons from the Milanese design crowd.
We also discussed GOV.UK’s success at this year’s Designs Of The Year. Well done Ben Terrett!
- Can graphic design translate to performance? LCC's grad show identity shows us it can
- Gina Tonic on being big, Welsh and growing up in an ex-mining town in The Valleys
- Margot Lévêque examines the historical, emotional and philosophical connotations of the collar
- Illustrator Moon utilises drawing as a means of understanding herself
- Toilet rolls and sat navs: Photographer Andy Price will make you look twice at everyday objects
- Samantha French’s dazzling underwater paintings hark back to childhood summers
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth