So here we are at the end of May, the start of British summertime (ahem) and the end of thousands of British students’ arts degrees. And what better way than to celebrate this coming out into society than with a look at some of the top talent in the country today? So all you students hanging out in the provinces, creating quietly in the towns, and even you rowdy lot in the cities, we want to see your work!
If you are about to graduate your third year of a BA course in art and design in the UK, you are eligible to enter the It’s Nice That Graduates to become one of the class of 2013. For the last four years running we have successfully championed the work of some of the best young creatives working today, and now’s your chance to join them. So, if you fancy having your work on the It’s Nice That site and coming to a fantastic networking event in the summer to meet all the other super talented grads, apply now!
We are very pleased that The It’s Nice That Graduates 2013 will once again be supported by Represent Recruitment who are themselves celebrating being ten years old this summer. The graphic design recruitment specialists have developed a peerless reputation working with designers of all levels and matching them up with the right positions in some of the top agencies around. Represent’s support has helped us grow the Graudate scheme over recent years and we are thrilled they have partnered with us again in 2013.
And so, the guidelines. Please read them very carefully before sending your application to: [email protected]
1. Your full name
2. Your university’s name
3. Your full course name
4. Your contact details (email address and telephone number)
5. Three projects you think best represent you and your work. We request you send up to three images per project, along with a 50-75 word explanation. (Please send images at 72dpi.)
The closing date for submissions is midnight on Tuesday June 25.
The Mill Co. Project Desk Space Challenge
This year we are very excited to announce a new competition in association with Mill Co. to run alongside The Graduates to win a six month desk space in trendy Haggerston at The Mill Co. Project which is “a social enterprise scheme designed to create an environment in which independent designers and artists can flourish and work both independently and as part of a community.” Basically a big building full of artists and creatives.
This desk space will open up a whole new world of potential collaborations and community-based projects to kickstart your career, plus essentials like internet access and meeting facilities. The competition is simple, all you need to do is design an item that could potentially be sold in The Mill Co. Store, a place where resident artists and designers sell their wares. From t-shirts to tea towels and from mugs to stationery, this is your chance to create a limited edition, beautiful, artisan piece to be sold in the store. The best product submitted will win the desk space. So what are you waiting for?
To enter, please email [email protected] with the subject line of “Desk Space.”
One of last year’s Graduates, Alex is responsible for the fantastic illustrations on the Graduates 2013 visual identity. Together with 2011 It’s Nice That Graduate and now top designer Bruce Usher he has ensured that The Graduates identity is one of the best we’ve had.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!