In this week’s Things we present a magnificent, hand-printed invitation from Alan Kitching; The Group of Ten – a new zine/short story by Supermundane; a set of colourful and informative postcards direct from the West of England Design Forum; Ideas Illustrated – The Relocated Issue; and the debut publication of On Paper.
Kitching’s Concise Letterpress and Typography Workshop Alan Kitching
Wonderful letterpress maestro Alan Kitching sent us au expertly hand-printed, large fold-out invitation to his much-anticipated workshop . The invitation itself is almost too much to take, so it’s hard to imagine how epic the workshop is going to be.
The Group of Ten Supermundane
A bright yellow zine created by Rob Lowe – otherwise known as Supermundane – showcasing a short story involving ten characters, each represented with their own abstract portrait per page. Like cloud gazing, you see hints of the characters rather than being told exactly what is what, and the rest is left up to your imagination.
The West of England Design Forum
Lovely set of postcards showcasing illustration talent from the west of England. In their quest to promote the value of design, they are spreading the word with thought-provoking quotes from many of our favourite designers, printed on postcards to pass on to others.
Ideas Illustrated: ‘Why Am I Here?’ The Relocated Issue YCN
Really fun issue of Ideas Illustrated , a feast for the eyes in terms of the illustration crammed into each page. Includes a neat article on design and reality, and an uplifting ‘dozen ideas’ section to help get you through your weekend/life constructively.
On Paper – Issue 1, Travel Rebecca Hawkes
This is the first issue of On Paper and it manages to be both pleasantly whimsical and informative. Within the publication is a selection of short, snappy interviews with friendly and interesting people – accompanied by charming photography and splashes of juicy text taken from cult novels.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum