Cheers to Till Hafenbrak. Detailed, very well worked, and full of fun, the Berlin-based illustrator refreshes the traditional visual languages and processes of graphic design and reminds us of their extraordinary illustrative power.
Often using restricted palettes of only two or three colours, he conjures up creatures, cityscapes, and social situations that are nevertheless arrestingly appealing. Here and there, we see nods to older reproductive processes than the digital ones we currently take for granted. The details of Landscape with Fishermen, for example, bear resemblance to early twentieth-century woodcut pictograms, while many of his images either mimic, or are produced using, screenprinting processes. The overall result is that of carefully worked and juxtaposed shapes that vividly evoke landscapes, wildlife, aaaaand… Batman!
Hafenbrak is one of the three founder-members of Biografiktion , which was set up with two fellow classmates from the Universität der Künste Berlin (University of the Arts Berlin) when they graduated in 2009. Wunderbar!
- Josephin Ritschel presents architecture and its surroundings as a stage for storytelling
- Gender, sexuality and male identity as seen through the lens of Jorge Perez Ortiz
- Gab Bois transforms things we’ve seen a thousand times into something spectacular
- Aysha Tengiz on her joyous, colourful and slightly depressing illustrated scenes
- Satellite photography, drawing tools and interactive logotypes feature in Double Click September
- Lego reveals first brand campaign in 30 years, Rebuild the World
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!