Multi-disciplinary and multi-talented illustrator Tim Lahan has completed an inspired collection of drawings to accompany the horoscopes in Italian Elle. The act of checking what’s in store for your heart, your friendships and your wallet is something we’ve all done, some openly and some as a guilty pleasure. What makes Tim’s work so refreshing is that he has broken away from the ‘cosmic’ element of the horoscopes and encouraged enjoyment through these sun soaked, highly concentrated, delicious drawings.
The inspiration for the series came from focussing on the original zodiac signs, “and whether they lent themselves to a visual concept”. Tim employed the method of letting each symbol drive the work. “If the symbol itself didn’t speak to me I focussed on the meaning or traits behind each of the signs and illustrated that.” Each of these illustrations are featured in a booklet as an accompaniment to the magazine. The horizontal space Tim had to fill has created these wide-screen, almost cinematic scenes which allows each piece to stand alone and as a set, “It was a bit of a challenge to fill that oddly-shaped space for each sign, but that was part of what made the project interesting.”
Tim himself is an Aries.
- Lee Kan Kyo’s practice involves taking a selfie a day and a loyalty card club
- Office supplies sweat, struggle and stress in Philotheus Nisch’s recent series for Die Epilog
- It’s been another busy year of cultural design projects for Badesaison
- Kengo Kuma tells us why we need “a new period of natural design”
- The essentials of handling your finances as a graduate, junior or freelance creative
- Painter Nick McPhail uses Renaissance techniques to make his architectural landscapes “glow”
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!