Let’s pick up where we left off last year shall ww, with a nice rhetorical question – what do this year’s nominations for the Turner Prize mean about the state of British art?
The quartet up for scrutiny are one digital moving image and video installation artist, Elizabeth Price; one fine-art draftsman, Paul Noble; one art filmmaker, Luke Fowler; and one magnificently-named performance artist, Spartacus Chetwynd.
Here are some more questions: Does Chetwynd, whose esoterically amateurish performance pieces once centred around Jabba the Hutt, carry the “controversy” card? Will the temporal illustrative phantasmagoria so meticulously depicted by Noble push drawing forward as a critical contemporary art form? Does Price’s installation work open the door to the hugely charged sea of new, younger, digital artists? And will the youngest name on the list, the multi-various Fowler with his fascinating and involved film work, re-address the conventions of how we categorise artists?
It may well get a rise out of a certain section of the media and, at any rate, it almost doesn’t matter, as long as we’re talking about art.
- Izabela Jurcewicz uses her camera to become both a surgeon and a patient
- XYZ Lab designs a removable and “grotesque” fifth issue for Rouge Fashion Book
- Relive the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer through Summer of Something Special
- Intimate, safe and romantic: Ekaterina Popova paints the interiors of her friend’s bedrooms
- Alfie Dwyer on creating game-like worlds and moulding tangible films like “putty”
- Through playful forms, Bára Růžičková tackles the rigid structure of the design industry
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories