If you’re tasked with redesigning the Virgin Atlantic clubhouse at Los Angeles International airport – the very last room visitors to the US’ beautiful west coast are going to see before jetting back off to their own grey lives – you’d best make sure you do a bloody good job of it. Virgin Atlantic were thoroughly aware of the potential pitfalls of such a project, and so have set about creating a space which encapsulates the warm, individual spirit that the company has gone to such lengths to establish. And it seems to us that they’ve succeeded.
Designed by New York-based firm Slade Architecture in collaboration with Virgin Atlantic’s in-house design team, the new clubhouse looks to channel Southern California in all elements of its design. From fluid, flowing shapes which echo the beaches’ undulating waves, to furniture built out of layers of bamboo inspired by “surfboards, skateboards, boat hulls and polished beach stones,” every aspect of the lounge is thoroughly Californian. There’s even the option to recline in an iconic Eames chair, designed by California-based duo Charles and Ray Eames in the 1950s, while enjoying Dana Reichenbach’s immersive media installation, featuring her trademark “lightscapes, subtle movement and vivid colour” on the facing wall. The only danger with such a space is that, with its laid back atmosphere and collection of tailor-made and classic objects, you might miss your flight altogether.
- Superimpose Studio on the impact of Brexit on the creative industries
- Photographer Namsa Leuba makes the invisible stories of Voodoo visible
- A whizz through the portfolio of Italian illustrator Marco Oggian
- Alex Vasilyev's compelling photographs of locals living in Russia's coldest region
- Friday Mixtape: Rae Morris curates a winter-focused mix
- Good Sport Magazine: sport-focussed content, through the lens of much broader reaching interests
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Director of Taylor Swift's Delicate video accused of copying Spike Jonze’s Kenzo advert
- These Swedish kids designed a typeface to celebrate their neighbourhood
- A new Vitra Museum exhibition shows the hedonistic history of nightclub design
- A chat with the anonymous archivist behind vintage smut celebration Hardcore Decor
- A peek inside the bulging, bold portfolio of multidisciplinary studio Spassky Fisher