I find that in polite society, birds can be a bit divisive. For every person who sees in them the majestic realisation of our flight fantasies, there’s someone else who finds them a bit scary and flappy. But even the most unimpressed of this latter group might reassess their position on seeing HelloVon’s sumptuous new collection Flight. The London-based illustrator has today released the limited-edition collectors’ box set featuring five gorgeous new giclee prints which reflect his own fascination with “intricate structures, geometry, grace and inherent beauty” of birds. The abstracted images mark Von’s return to his hugely popular Animals series for the first time in more than a year and the hand-made box is a handsome looking thing too.
Al this proves that Von is a creative at the top of his game (which we knew) and that it is possible to write a post like this without resorting to painful bird puns (I’m as surprised as you).
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled