Quite why we’ve never featured the work of Yuko Shimizu on the site before is beyond me. The Japanese-born, New York-based illustrator has been freelancing for almost ten years now, following a drastic career change from PR to illustration in her thirties, and has worked with a dream list of clients, from big name editorial institutions like the New York Times and Playboy, to huge global brands like Tiger Beer and VISA.
Yuko’s style is deeply evocative of Ukiyo-e masters Hokusai and Hiroshige, taking cues from these traditional Japanese woodblocks to inform her character design, but making it contemporary with distinctly modern themes. Working in brush and ink, Yuko creates dynamic illustrations of often-surreal environments that imbue her subject with a true sense of the epic. She’s also got an extensive body of personal work that includes some incredible erotic art (no, really) in the form of Letters of Desire an alphabet book quite unlike anything you’ve seen before.
We’d encourage you to set aside some real time to explore Yuko’s site and really appreciate the full extent of her talents.
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Miguel Pang’s hand-drawn approach adds texture and depth to his illustrations
- Cordova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner