As spring slowly turns into summer, the changing of the season only means one thing for us at It’s Nice That: Graduates. Just as students begin handing in their final projects and dissertations, and start to pop-up their degree shows across the globe, we’re pleased to announce this year’s edition of The Graduates is now open for applications. That means if you are a graduate or are graduating from an undergraduate creative course (bachelor’s or equivalent) in 2019, we want to hear from you!
Now in its 11th year, The Graduates is an annual programme we run to find a diverse batch of untapped creative talent. Always bowled over by the applications we receive, each year the number of graduates we feature has expanded, with last year marking the first time applications opened on a global scale, allowing us to find even more talent and be as open and inclusive as possible. In 2018, our global class of graduates included illustrators from Louisiana and Sweden, graphic designers from Portsmouth and New Zealand, California and Singapore, photographers from Poland and Brighton, and our class expanded to include fashion design and product design graduates for the very first time, too.
So, from now until 24 June, we’re on the lookout for the next leading photographers, graphic designers, illustrators, animators, filmmakers and every creative discipline in between. Rather than projects bound by commercial briefs, we look for portfolios that are bursting with personality; we want work that develops from an original idea and is representative of the person who has created it.
If that sounds like you, you can submit your application here and further details about exactly what to submit can be found below.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Each of the winning graduates will receive…
- An interview on It’s Nice That about your work.
- A prime slot on the homepage during our dedicated one-day Graduates takeover.
- The chance to become part of the It’s Nice That network and seek helpful advice and guidance from our team.
Applications are now open and will close on Monday 24 June 2018. Over the next few weeks, we’ll also be sharing a number of advice articles for graduates, including everything from industry leaders sharing portfolio tips, how to best approach a job interview, experiences of the daunting first year out of art school and even some advice on how to do your taxes.
Things to know before you enter:
- Work submitted must be the product of an individual portfolio, as opposed to a partnership or collective.
- We prefer evidence of work that isn’t bound by previous commercial or competition briefs. We want to see work that has authorship and that is original to you!
- All portfolios can be submitted as a website link or a downloadable PDF up to 20 MB. We cannot open WeTransfer links, Hightail or Dropbox folders.
- Applicants must have graduated, or be due to graduate, from an undergraduate course (bachelor’s or equivalent) in 2019.
Remember: the deadline for entries is midnight GMT on 24 June.
If you’re after more advice and insight into creative work and careers, check out Lecture In Progress, It’s Nice That’s sister company. Standard membership is free and includes exclusive offers and promotions.