The home-rental platform Airbnb recently announced that it will start designing and building its own houses this coming 2019. The global company has been criticised for its impacts on the affordable housing crisis. As seen in Berlin, where short-term rentals on platforms like Airbnb have even been made illegal.
Airbnb’s experimental product development team Samara will oversee the project titled Backyard. The new housing plans are centred on sustainability with Airbnb’s co-founder Joe Gebbia claiming that “The way buildings are made is outdated and generates a tremendous amount of waste”. Alternatively, these new houses will implement new and smart ways of manufacturing buildings, without, according to Joe, “filling landfills with needless waste”.
The Backyard team have been researching various “eco-friendly” building materials in the lead up to the project. Backyard’s team consists of multi-disciplinary creatives including interaction designers and those working in housing policy. The project comes as part of an initiative to address growing issues of climate change and overpopulation. With 3,300 new homes starting construction every day in the US, according to the U.S Census Bureau, Joe Gebbia goes on to assert that Backyard “goes beyond a business opportunity — it’s a social responsibility.”
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!