The home-rental platform Airbnb recently announced that it will start designing and building its own houses this coming 2019. The global company has been criticised for its impacts on the affordable housing crisis. As seen in Berlin, where short-term rentals on platforms like Airbnb have even been made illegal.
Airbnb’s experimental product development team Samara will oversee the project titled Backyard. The new housing plans are centred on sustainability with Airbnb’s co-founder Joe Gebbia claiming that “The way buildings are made is outdated and generates a tremendous amount of waste”. Alternatively, these new houses will implement new and smart ways of manufacturing buildings, without, according to Joe, “filling landfills with needless waste”.
The Backyard team have been researching various “eco-friendly” building materials in the lead up to the project. Backyard’s team consists of multi-disciplinary creatives including interaction designers and those working in housing policy. The project comes as part of an initiative to address growing issues of climate change and overpopulation. With 3,300 new homes starting construction every day in the US, according to the U.S Census Bureau, Joe Gebbia goes on to assert that Backyard “goes beyond a business opportunity — it’s a social responsibility.”
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping