A new initiative spearheaded by arts organisation Hospital Rooms and South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust will refurbish psychiatric wards in the UK with the support of Arts Council England. In a bid to improve the conditions in mental health hospitals in England, curator Niamh White and artist Tim A. Shaw are working with the Trust to commission contemporary artists and photographers, including Assemble and Nick Knight, to create work for wards and communal hospital spaces.
The launch project of Hospital Rooms will give participating artists allocated spaces within the secure residential ward for schizophrenic patients at Springfield University Hospital in Tooting, before introducing the initiative to NHS hospitals around the country.
“My colleague Tim A Shaw and I are delighted to be initiating this project with the Trust,” said Niamh White of the Hospital Rooms art project. “Our aim is to enable the creation of artwork that can have a direct and practical social impact. We hope to create a series of rooms within the unit that are engaging, beautiful and completely functional for day to day life.”
In addition to Nick Knight and Assemble, confirmed artists for the Springfield University Hospital’s Phoenix Unit include YBA Gavin Turk and Michael O’Reilly, and landscape architect Joh Bates will redesign the courtyard and outdoor areas.
The project, which also includes a series of workshops, started in March and will be ongoing until December.
- Food for thought on the day the Global Climate Strike begins
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!