London based artist and filmmaker Bafic has directed a film with Jim Joe for Virgil Abloh, titled 2ème Étage. The video appeared this morning on Abloh’s Instagram and features a host of collaborators with a track by rapper Gunna.
The 10 minute film documents Abloh’s Mens SS19 collection and surveils his process using documentary style as it follows him around the Parisian LV HQ in preparation for the show. It features Abloh dressed in all-black, captures his signature ‘tool box’, watches him handwrite labels in the studio, and carefully directing models as people chatter around him.
Bafic is an artist best known for his audio-visual work, and perhaps best known for his his installation at London’s ICA, titled Processing Procession that introduced Bafic to a whole new audience after gaining notoriety in the underground art world via his photography. His work deals with the grittiness of surveillance and control with humour and charm. He posted a snippet on his Instagram with the caption:
“Making of @virgilabloh collection “Colour Theory” With @louisvuitton - Film by @jimjoe !!!!!! <3 and me
Fellow director Jim Joe is an anonymous but infamous NY artist who has previously worked with Kanye West, providing a drawing for his 2013 Yeezus album.
The film looks set to be released during Paris Fashion Week, taking place now.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!