The image of the “papped” celebrity falling out of a car or exiting a nightclub is something we are all accustomed to seeing. In its latest campaign, Spanish fashion brand Balenciaga has created an homage to the high-flash tabloid imagery with a series of fake paparazzi shots.
Released on the brand’s Instagram account today (1 February), the campaign features a series of models wearing its spring/summer 18 collection in a variety of locations. Each model appears to be trying to escape the camera’s gaze while conveniently using their Balenciaga accessories to shield their faces, captured by French press photography agency Bestimage.
Balenciaga is not the first brand to utilise such paparazzi-style images – a style that is shaping up to be somewhat of a trend. Back in December 2017, Kanye West revealed his sixth season of Yeezy in staged snaps of Kim Kardashian running day-to-day errands such as “the smoothie run” and “the McDonald’s run”.
That was followed yesterday by what appeared to the next instalment in the faux-papped-Kim series. At first glance, the images posted on the makeup-mogul’s Instagram appear to be of her but are in actual fact her clone in the form of a contoured, tanned Paris Hilton.
- Graphic designer Angharad Hengyu Owen on textual shapes and wandering poems
- Chase Middleton’s candid, bizarre and compelling photographs of strangers
- Illustrator Marie Jacotey on depicting emotions we daren’t talk about
- Humans’ impact on Earth inspired Bleed’s custom typefaces for Anthopros
- Girls! Illustrator Martina Paukova opens her first major show in London
- OOF magazine explores the world of art and football
- Nike’s latest ad features 258 young Londoners proving that “Nothing Beats a Londoner”
- Monument Valley designer Ken Wong releases interactive comic mobile game, Florence
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- Artist claims Kendrick Lamar video for Black Panther song used her work without permission
- Bureau Bertrand Clément’s portfolio represents the importance of playful graphic design
- Official portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama have been unveiled