The image of the “papped” celebrity falling out of a car or exiting a nightclub is something we are all accustomed to seeing. In its latest campaign, Spanish fashion brand Balenciaga has created an homage to the high-flash tabloid imagery with a series of fake paparazzi shots.
Released on the brand’s Instagram account today (1 February), the campaign features a series of models wearing its spring/summer 18 collection in a variety of locations. Each model appears to be trying to escape the camera’s gaze while conveniently using their Balenciaga accessories to shield their faces, captured by French press photography agency Bestimage.
Balenciaga is not the first brand to utilise such paparazzi-style images – a style that is shaping up to be somewhat of a trend. Back in December 2017, Kanye West revealed his sixth season of Yeezy in staged snaps of Kim Kardashian running day-to-day errands such as “the smoothie run” and “the McDonald’s run”.
That was followed yesterday by what appeared to the next instalment in the faux-papped-Kim series. At first glance, the images posted on the makeup-mogul’s Instagram appear to be of her but are in actual fact her clone in the form of a contoured, tanned Paris Hilton.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!