High street fashion chain River Island has launched its SS18 collection with a campaign tackling social labels by Studio Blvd, titled Labels Are For Clothes. Enlisting renowned fashion photographer Richard Burbridge and director Lacey for the vibrant and joyful campaign visuals, the agency aimed to “raise awareness of the outdated and irrelevant labels people are given” with a diverse and inclusive message.
The campaign plays on the washing instructions found on standard clothing labels, with one model and body confidence activist appearing with the tagline “Do Not Shrink”; a gay couple with the line “Do Not Separate”; and a non binary model with the phrase “100% Gender Free”. According to the studio, the cast were found from around the world and all have suffered at the hands of negative labels.
“Gender labels, cultural labels, racial labels, political labels, LGBTQIAP+ labels have been dominating cultural conversations in the UK and beyond,” says Blvd’s Alistair Green. “We encouraged River Island to join the conversation and celebrate the individual in their own unique way, using the tongue-in-cheek lingo of laundry labels sewn in their garments.”
- Ruud van Empel’s uncanny photographs blend artificiality with naturalism
- Grant James-Thomas shoots twins with a painterly aesthetic for Vogue Italia
- In Stiya, photographer Cole Barash compares a storm and the birth of his first child
- Nano illustrates the different kinds of loneliness that we all feel from time to time
- Jan Hakon Erichsen is a balloon-destroying artist whose work you really shouldn't try at home
- Clarity of concept is at the heart of Seoul-based graphic designer Son Ayong’s posters
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Lacoste once again swaps its iconic crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- Introducing Double Click – our new series rounding up the best of the digital design world
- Typeface Ciao communicates auditive intonations of the spoken word
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder