Following its runway show last week and ahead of the launch on 2 November, H&M has released a short film directed by esteemed filmmaker Baz Luhrmann for its Erdem X H&M collection. In a nod to the botanical motifs of the collection, The Secret Life of Flowers is set in an English country estate called Reddham Gardens where it’s “forever spring”. The film is accompanied by an exclusive new track by Years & Years called Hypnotised.
The film is characteristically Baz Luhrmann in its use of sweeping cinematography and vibrancy, transporting us to a mansion with flowers covering every inch of available space. Here, a group of friends eat and drink to their hearts’ content, meanwhile a love triangle develops between three main characters played by British actors Tom Rhys Harries, Hero Fiennes-Tiffin and Ruby Dagnall. They are joined by acclaimed actress Dame Harriet Walter playing the Miss Havisham-like home owner, as well as models Saskia de Brauw, Imaan Hamman and Fernando Cabral among others.
Throughout the film, the director draws attention to key pieces from the collection including a sleeveless ballgown with a snowdrop jacquard print, grey two-piece suits and crisp white shirts. You can view the full film below as well as some footage from the making of the short, here.
- Adobe Stock identifies 'multilocalism' as the next trend to shape visual culture
- “I want my work to function like a good book": illustrator Charlotte Ager
- "Even if you cover a shit in glitter it’s still a shit": top creatives show us their CVs
- Stephen Isaac-Wilson's new film for Boiler Room remembers Manchester's 90s queer clubbing scene
- From Kanye West to Cartoon Network: Encyclopedia Pictura’s latest animations champion the power of DIY skills
- Amad Ilyas’ Naach Girls project explores the portrayal of dancing girls in South Asia
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts