Trust check-happy fashion house Burberry to whip out the big guns for its end-of-2018 extravaganza. The Juno Calypso directed Close Your Eyes and Think of Christmas features everyone from MIA to Naomi Campbell’s mum, and is the first bit of video that Burberry has released since its appointment of Riccardo Tisci as chief creative officer back in May of this year.
Given the glut of adverts that roll into our inboxes at this time of year, we’ve spent a fair amount of time here at It’s Nice That ruminating on the meaning of Christmas. Some adverts want us to think about the joy of giving, others force us to consider the harmful impact that rampant palm oil manufacturing has on the planet’s orangutan population . Burberry’s effort, however, makes it pretty clear that Christmas exists in order to cajole some very big names into hanging out together in order to shift some very nice, and very pricey, coats.
Replicating the kind of fever-dreams that usually accompany your fifth helping of turkey, Calypso throws together former Doctor Who Matt Smith with MIA and celebrated actress Kristin Scott Thomas, who swap a down-heel cafe and a commuter train carriage for an opulent dinner party befitting of a brand that is the embodiment of luxury.
If that wasn’t enough, we’re treated to the sight of Naomi Campbell and her mother, Valerie Morris-Campbell, enjoying a little sit down in front of the telly, presumably after that aforementioned fifth helping of turkey. We’ll happily take bets on what the pair were watching, by the way, so please do email us with suggestions. The current frontrunner is a repeat of the third episode of Ian Hislop’s train-related BBC4 documentary series Ian Hislop Goes Off the Rails.
Juno’s advert rounds off an exciting few months for Burberry which found itself provided with a new logo by Peter Saville in early August.
- Review of the Year 2018: Back to Back with Astrid Stavro and Jody Hudson-Powell
- Adam Higton and Atelier Bingo collaborate to illustratively visualise the 12 months of the year
- Data journalist Mona Chalabi reviews her 2018 in statistics
- Kim Gehrig's latest advert is an eclectic, inclusive ode to the vulva
- Emulsion is a new magazine offering a holistic view of culture
- What one word best sums up your year? Take part in our Review of the Year Instagram brief
- Blok rethinks the design of cannabis after its legalisation in Canada
- We ask Duncan Cowles to create the ultimate Christmas ad, using only Adobe Stock and some expert advice
- Christmas decorations cause OCD sufferers distress in New York
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared to debut at Sundance Film Festival
- Design studio Julia on a decade of turning complex ideas into graphic symbols
- Multi-faceted designers Studio Bergini hops between projects with a cool, clean elegance