To celebrate its 35th birthday London’s Southwark Park Galleries have decided to do something a tad unusual: they’ve decided to stage a contemporary art show about dogs, chosen by…dogs.
A trio of canine curators have assembled a show that’s as dog-heavy as any day out at Crufts. We’re told that they were given a little help by trusty human beings but we’d rather pretend that every single decision was made by one of the four-legged art fanatics. It just makes things more fun that way, right?
Still if you must live in the real world, it might be handy to know that the dogs belong to a curator (Joyce Cronin), a gallerist (Karsten Schubert) and an art critic (Louisa Buck).
Evidently the pooches in question have been keeping up to date with their Printed Pages subscription because the line-up features everyone from Joan Jonas to Martin Creed via David Shrigley and Jim Moir — better known as Vic Reeves.
One of the summer’s more unusual exhibitions opens next week (18 July) and runs until 8 September.
- Can graphic design translate to performance? LCC's grad show identity shows us it can
- Gina Tonic on being big, Welsh and growing up in an ex-mining town in The Valleys
- Margot Lévêque examines the historical, emotional and philosophical connotations of the collar
- Illustrator Moon utilises drawing as a means of understanding herself
- Toilet rolls and sat navs: Photographer Andy Price will make you look twice at everyday objects
- Samantha French’s dazzling underwater paintings hark back to childhood summers
- Turning her lens to those around her, Danna Singer reveals the story of a working class community
- Kyle Berger’s Photoshopped images exist in “a post-truth timeline”
- The climate crisis is daunting, but as a creative professional, there’s much you can do
- Elizabeth Hibbard’s unsettling photographs examine subjective experience with a visceral gaze
- “My creativity is sparked by music and architecture”: meet graphic designer Stephanie Specht
- Adventure Time’s finale nominated for Emmy, alongside BoJack and Big Mouth