It’s Nice That’s Ones to Watch shines a light on 12 emerging talents who we think will conquer the creative world in 2018. From a global pool of creative talent, we have chosen our 2018 Ones To Watch for their ability to consistently produce inspiring and engaging work across a diverse range of disciplines. Each of our selections continually pushes the boundaries of what is possible with their creative output. Ones to Watch 2018 is supported by Uniqlo.
Manchester-based gallery Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art (CFCCA) is to open an exhibition of work by painter Faye Wei Wei, one of our 2018 Ones To Watch and curated by Tiffany Leung.
The works on show are a continuation of the Slade graduate’s mystical, mythological large-scale paintings featuring sea urchins, puppets and a merman born from a fertility myth found in T. S. Eliot’s notes to The Waste Land. Moving away from her now signature pastel colour palette, the figurative artworks veer into moodier colour palettes and a darker sentiment.
Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art is a leading institution in the exploration of Chinese contemporary culture and visual culture spanning exhibitions, events, shop, artist residencies, festivals, engagement programmes and research forums.
Faye’s work will be shown as part of CFCCA’s Concepts of Gender season. Faye’s work will be shown alongside a solo show of video work by Shen Xin which will include a new commission, also curated by Tiffany Leung. Faye Wei Wei will run from 11 May – 8 July with free entry.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice