To open this year’s Google I/O developers’ conference in San Francisco, the organisers screened an animated film to a crowd of 7,000 plus a live-stream audience of millions. Created by Nexus director Fx Goby, the enchanting animation tells the story of the genesis of an idea, while also taking the viewers on a visual journey through the animators’ techniques.
It begins as a simple hand-drawn black line drawing on a white background, showing the protagonist – an amorphous character, discovering an egg, who proceeds to follow him. It promptly grows legs and arms, and the character, named Aye, soon becomes attached to “Idea”. They set off on a journey, Aye protecting, nurturing and pushing Idea along. All the while, the scenery becomes increasingly sophisticated and detailed. It bursts into colour, jumps from traditional, flat animation to CG and 3D visuals, from a rural landscape to a futuristic and hi-tech wonderland. Until, finally, Idea is born.
French, London-based director Fx, known for his film To Build a Fire, worked with a team of over 40 artists at Nexus to “reflect the evolution of animation itself”.
You can now watch the film and the making-of film below.
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner