Pentagram’s Luke Hayman, illustrator Ed Steed and graphic designer Matt De Jong are among the nominees for the Grammys 2018 in the Package category.
Luke Hayman was nominated together with Elyanna Blaser-Gould and Andrea Trabucco-Campos for their album cover design for The National’s Sleep Well Beast.
Renowned illustrator Ed Steed, together with Sasha Barr and Josh Tillman were nominated for the cover of Pure Comedy by Father John Misty.
Matt De Jong and Alex Crossan were selected for art directing Mura Masa’s album artwork. Other nominees in this category include Claudio Roncoli and Cactus Taller for Magín Diaz’ El Orisha De La Rosa cover; and Gail Marowitz, for Jonathan Coulton’s Solid State artwork.
The other visual design category for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package includes nominees Tom Hingston for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ Lovely Creatures best-of album, and LADdesign’s box set for the Voyager Golden record. Designer Masaki Koike, who has been nominated several times for his work in music, was also nominated for May 1977: Get Shown The Light by the Grateful Dead.
The Best Music Video category features Canada’s epic live action video for Beck’s Up All Night, as well as the animated video for The Story of O.J. by Jay-Z, directed by the rapper with Mark Romanek, and producer Daniel Midgley.
The winners will be announced on 28 January 2018. See the full list of nominees here.
- Experimental photography magazine Bill plays with the notion of the image as a material object
- Thomas Demand in conversation with It’s Nice That
- For Alice Monvaillier, animation is a "pretty magical process"
- My Body Feels Amazing: Elevator Teeth uses words and images to conduct a dialogue with the self
- City Edition Studio creates projects with a soft, collaborative and kind tone of voice
- Jack Smyth talks us through what makes a successful book jacket design
- “The future of design is in the creation of tools”: Meet the Space Type Generator
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Youngchae Lee illustrates what “alone time” feels like in large landscapes
- Yushi Li on photographing men she met through Tinder
- When Hollie Fernando forgot her age, she decided to take her first self-portraits