Last night Beck unveiled the video for Up All Night made by filmmaking studio Canada. Starring Solène Rigot as a female knight in shining armour, battling the perils of a raucous house party to save her drunken friend (Pedro Attenborough), the video upturns storytelling’s oldest cliche with cinematic punch.
The live action film begins with Pedro toppling and falling face first on to a pool table, surrounded by a room full of debauched young party-goers. Elsewhere Solène rips a street sign down to fashion a shield, and sets off on her warpath towards the party. Soon she’s wearing a fully home-made superhero-esque body armour, and bursts through the wall of the party, fighting her way through the crowds and deflecting pelted drinks. Things then descend into the surreal, with her suit becoming magnetic, and Solène downing a cup of liquid metal before the camera travels down her throat and ends up in the inner workings of a sportscar.
Canada directed and produced the video, shot in Barcelona “over three long days and one night of July 2017”, with cinematographer Daniel Fernández Abelló as director of photography.
The song features on Beck’s album Colors out 13 October.
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs their mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner