Ikea has announced a collaboration with Danish design brand Hay, including a redesign of its big blue carrier bags. The new Frakta bags have a green and white checked pattern with dark green handles. The Hay collection is planned to launch in autumn 2017, featuring furniture, lighting, accessories and textile designs; the brand has released images of prototypes, including a chair in the same dark green, as well as a bench, table and desk lamp.
The Swedish brand also announced a major new collaboration with British designer Tom Dixon, to launch in August 2017. The range will explore comfortable, modular, flexible and lightweight seating for the modern home. “We are in the midst of a huge revolution in how people create, manufacture and consume,” Tom Dixon said in a statement. “The furniture business has been slow to respond to the opportunities, but now is an amazing time to experiment in new ways of working. In this case in a fresh collaboration directly with the consumer, industry and global experts.”
The announcement was made at Ikea’s Democratic Design Day in Sweden, an annual conference where it announced its popular Ilse Crawford collection last year.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!