Ikea has announced a collaboration with Danish design brand Hay, including a redesign of its big blue carrier bags. The new Frakta bags have a green and white checked pattern with dark green handles. The Hay collection is planned to launch in autumn 2017, featuring furniture, lighting, accessories and textile designs; the brand has released images of prototypes, including a chair in the same dark green, as well as a bench, table and desk lamp.
The Swedish brand also announced a major new collaboration with British designer Tom Dixon, to launch in August 2017. The range will explore comfortable, modular, flexible and lightweight seating for the modern home. “We are in the midst of a huge revolution in how people create, manufacture and consume,” Tom Dixon said in a statement. “The furniture business has been slow to respond to the opportunities, but now is an amazing time to experiment in new ways of working. In this case in a fresh collaboration directly with the consumer, industry and global experts.”
The announcement was made at Ikea’s Democratic Design Day in Sweden, an annual conference where it announced its popular Ilse Crawford collection last year.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled