Ikea has announced a collaboration with Danish design brand Hay, including a redesign of its big blue carrier bags. The new Frakta bags have a green and white checked pattern with dark green handles. The Hay collection is planned to launch in autumn 2017, featuring furniture, lighting, accessories and textile designs; the brand has released images of prototypes, including a chair in the same dark green, as well as a bench, table and desk lamp.
The Swedish brand also announced a major new collaboration with British designer Tom Dixon, to launch in August 2017. The range will explore comfortable, modular, flexible and lightweight seating for the modern home. “We are in the midst of a huge revolution in how people create, manufacture and consume,” Tom Dixon said in a statement. “The furniture business has been slow to respond to the opportunities, but now is an amazing time to experiment in new ways of working. In this case in a fresh collaboration directly with the consumer, industry and global experts.”
The announcement was made at Ikea’s Democratic Design Day in Sweden, an annual conference where it announced its popular Ilse Crawford collection last year.
- “We are adamant that our projects pass the test of time”: Principal on its designs for Yoko Ono and Pierre Dorion
- Daniel Brereton gets back together with Metronomy for their latest video
- Internet Crusader tells the story of a virus-induced post-apocalyptic world
- Daniel Stankler reimagines the classics into colourful and uncanny animations
- Wang Zhi-Hong on his shifting approach of “hiding information” in graphic design
- Summers in Buda captures the city’s old women, and a possible dystopian future
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Peter Saville has designed this year's Pornhub Awards trophy, inspired by sex hormones
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW