Joe Casely-Hayford, one of the great British fashion designers of his generation, has passed away at the age of 62 after a three-year battle with cancer.
Casely-Hayford began his career on London’s tailoring hotspot Savile Row before studying at Central Saint Martins. An obituary published this morning — 4 January — on the website of i-D, the fashion magazine with which Casely-Hayford had a long collaborative relationship, praised the designer for how he effortlessly “blended detailed tailoring with a street-friendly edge.”
Over the years, Casely-Hayford dressed everyone from Benedict Cumberbatch to Jarvis Cocker, Michael Fassbender to Lou Reed. In 1992, U2’s perma-sunglassed frontman Bono became the first man to feature on the cover of Vogue. He was wearing Joe Casely-Hayford.
His clothing was found on catwalks, high streets, and in galleries across the globe.
The Guardian quotes long-term GQ editor Dylan Jones as saying, “He [Joe Casely-Hayford] was one of the mainstays of the industry in the 80s, and was an inspiration to a whole generation of young designers. His name was also one of the first British brands to gain genuine global recognition. He will be greatly missed.”
Casely-Hayford was awarded an OBE in June 2007.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!