Following the digital release of Kendrick Lamar’s album Damn., which has already gone platinum, the artist today (14 July 2017) releases his album on vinyl. To coincide with the release Kendrick has partnered with independent record shop Rough Trade East and and live music venue Juju’s bar and stage, for a UK exclusive installation and snapchat filter.
The design of Damn., sparked surprise with fans and the graphic design community earlier this year for its use of a default typeface, a much simpler approach to his earlier cover art for To Pimp A Butterfly, despite being made by the same designer Vlad Sepetov. The infamous type design has been transformed into a 10ft 3D sculpture which will sit outside Juju’s bar, with a smaller 5ft installation inside Rough Trade.
The area of Truman Brewery will include more Damn. artwork including a 10ft banner, vinyl stickers and readograph lettering outside the store. A snapchat filter, placing the album’s title in situ is also available to use in the surrounding area.
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs their mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner