As part of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation benefit auction and gala taking place on Wednesday 26 July, a limited edition artwork by Tracey Emin will be auctioned and presented to a global audience for the first time. Titled Because of You I’m Here, the animated video work will be offered in a series of 250 at $500 each, exclusively made and launched through Sedition Art.
This year’s benefit will be conduced by Simon de Pury at an undisclosed location in St Tropez. As “the latest and largest” in a series hosted by the LDF, the event is where “innovators and thought leaders from the environmental, art, film and fashion industries come together to raise money and awareness, both of which contribute dramatically towards resolving critical ecological issues,” says the foundation.
LDF is known for “dedicating to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth’s inhabitants,” and raised $45m at the previous event. Through collaborative partnerships, the foundation has enabled support through “innovative projects that protect vulnerable wildlife from extinction.”
Alongside the release of an online preview that opened last week, 100 online-only lots will be launched on 27 July with bidding open from 10-23 August. This includes work by established and emerging artists which will become available to a “global audience”. A curation of selected work from the online auction will also be presented offline at an exhibition in New York, running from 3-10 August 2017.
Additional works and commissions include artists such as: Yinka Shonibare, Jenny Holzer, Lawrence Weiner, Andrea Bowers, Adrian Ghenie, Rashid Johnson, Sanya Kantarovsky, Ben Quilty and Julian Schnabel, plus many others.
- It’s Nice That and Camden Council host evening of talks by LGBTQ creatives
- Michael Marcelle’s photography is “like a broken funhouse mirror in a gay haunted house”
- Books From The Future's experimentally collaborative and investigative publishing
- Issue four of Beauty Papers screws the formula of beauty, giving it a “brave new face”
- Molly Matalon shoots a fashion editorial in the desert, and things get brotherly
- Laura Callaghan on illustrating a lifestyle where women make all decisions
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity