As part of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation benefit auction and gala taking place on Wednesday 26 July, a limited edition artwork by Tracey Emin will be auctioned and presented to a global audience for the first time. Titled Because of You I’m Here, the animated video work will be offered in a series of 250 at $500 each, exclusively made and launched through Sedition Art.
This year’s benefit will be conduced by Simon de Pury at an undisclosed location in St Tropez. As “the latest and largest” in a series hosted by the LDF, the event is where “innovators and thought leaders from the environmental, art, film and fashion industries come together to raise money and awareness, both of which contribute dramatically towards resolving critical ecological issues,” says the foundation.
LDF is known for “dedicating to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth’s inhabitants,” and raised $45m at the previous event. Through collaborative partnerships, the foundation has enabled support through “innovative projects that protect vulnerable wildlife from extinction.”
Alongside the release of an online preview that opened last week, 100 online-only lots will be launched on 27 July with bidding open from 10-23 August. This includes work by established and emerging artists which will become available to a “global audience”. A curation of selected work from the online auction will also be presented offline at an exhibition in New York, running from 3-10 August 2017.
Additional works and commissions include artists such as: Yinka Shonibare, Jenny Holzer, Lawrence Weiner, Andrea Bowers, Adrian Ghenie, Rashid Johnson, Sanya Kantarovsky, Ben Quilty and Julian Schnabel, plus many others.
- Mischa Appel's series This is Where You End investigates the "increasing polarisation of society"
- Ladybeard magazine returns and reshapes the stories we tell about beauty
- Clifford Prince King looks to “express truth and realness” in his portraits of male black youth
- Wang Wei’s series Young Wild & Free captures the fresh energy of Beijing youth
- Büro Bum Bum designs a cheery cookbook to get families excited about veg
- Ross Paul McEwan's expressive designs channel "that feeling you get when the sun comes out"
- Hotel search engine Trivago rebrands with new logo and identity
- The Art of Shinkansen animated gif series celebrates the Japanese bullet train
- National Geographic’s creative director Emmet Smith on the publication’s redesign
- Google Fonts Korean becomes interactive by manipulating path data
- Designer Jay Vaz combines his love of music and analogue art in a colourful and textural portfolio
- Craig Oldham dishes out brutally honest advice to new graphic designers