As part of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation benefit auction and gala taking place on Wednesday 26 July, a limited edition artwork by Tracey Emin will be auctioned and presented to a global audience for the first time. Titled Because of You I’m Here, the animated video work will be offered in a series of 250 at $500 each, exclusively made and launched through Sedition Art.
This year’s benefit will be conduced by Simon de Pury at an undisclosed location in St Tropez. As “the latest and largest” in a series hosted by the LDF, the event is where “innovators and thought leaders from the environmental, art, film and fashion industries come together to raise money and awareness, both of which contribute dramatically towards resolving critical ecological issues,” says the foundation.
LDF is known for “dedicating to the long-term health and wellbeing of all Earth’s inhabitants,” and raised $45m at the previous event. Through collaborative partnerships, the foundation has enabled support through “innovative projects that protect vulnerable wildlife from extinction.”
Alongside the release of an online preview that opened last week, 100 online-only lots will be launched on 27 July with bidding open from 10-23 August. This includes work by established and emerging artists which will become available to a “global audience”. A curation of selected work from the online auction will also be presented offline at an exhibition in New York, running from 3-10 August 2017.
Additional works and commissions include artists such as: Yinka Shonibare, Jenny Holzer, Lawrence Weiner, Andrea Bowers, Adrian Ghenie, Rashid Johnson, Sanya Kantarovsky, Ben Quilty and Julian Schnabel, plus many others.
- Mariana Malhão's illustrations depict "a world inside a world"
- Max Siedentopf offers silly but significant advice in his latest series, Instructions for World Peace
- XZY explores the “visual alchemies of the phenomenon fake" in its debut issue
- Steven Bliss' distant yet familiar series, Boys
- Friday Mixtape: Shopping pick a mix of bands to be excited to be about
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau on body diversity and defying convention
- The Guardian unveils redesign across print and online
- Aron Klein's captivating images of the Bulgarian demon chasers
- The rebrand for Russia’s tourist board uses Suprematist geometry laid out as a map
- Compare your selfies to fine art through the Google Arts and Culture app’s newest feature
- Coca-Cola reveals custom typeface, TCCC Unity, inspired by its modernist heritage
- Graphic designer Bryan Rivera references mistakes and imperfections in his portfolio