It is fitting that Manual’s rebrand of an architecture school should reflect its structural environs. For its rebrand of CCA (California College of the Arts) Architecture Division, San Francisco design studio Manual looked to the faculty’s home – a large, open-plan, double-height room built around a series of A-frame columns.
“Existing as a separate division within an art college, [the faculty] needed to establish its own identity within the college and strengthen its communication materials aimed at various audiences – from prospective international students, to faculty, to visiting lecturers,” explains Manual’s creative team, on the roots of the brief.
“We developed a graphic identity and [printed] materials to match the programme’s international status,” the designer continue. “At the heart of the identity is a reductive ‘A’ mark that directly references the A-frame architecture that is highly prominent in the college’s spacious atrium. The mark, which can be typed, also subtly references the digital nature of the program through its forward slash/back slash visual language.”
This process has seen the design team, led by Tom Crabtree, boil down the structure to its simplest form, an icon that is simultaneously distinctive and personal to the school, and adaptable to a range of outputs. The comprehensive rebrand expands this device of architectural lines and frameworks to a unified graphic system, used on programmes, posters, signage and digital applications.
- Have an ogle at Sein Koo’s marker pen illustrations of all things food-related
- Albert magazine's analytical yet colourful design proves how “knowledge can also have sex appeal”
- Typeface Ciao communicates auditive intonations of the spoken word
- Photography duo Luke & Nik talk us through the inspirations for their analogue manipulation
- Filmmaker and writer Pedro Neves Marques merges biopolitics with sexual politics
- Dinamo's Fabian Hard on exploring new technology with typography
- True's sixth issue thoughtfully showcases emerging and established photographers
- It’s cheese but not as you know it: ManvsMachine’s TV ads for Castello
- Jon Gray on designing book covers for Zadie Smith, Sally Rooney and other literary giants
- WeTransfer tell users to "Please Leave" in new short film
- Graphic Fest has all you need to know about visual identities for festivals and fairs
- Master one style or stay versatile? Illustrators discuss the pros and cons