Design and motion studio ManvsMachine London and Nike are the winners of a gold Design Lion at Cannes. Their digital graphic-driven campaign for Nike Air Max ’17 Go lighter for longer used a pastel-hued animation video to explore the properties of the shoe as it made its way through a run in a “metaphorical exploration of air and the negative space it occupies”.
The campaign was shared via Instagram, Europe-wide OOH placement and on Nike’s digital properties around the world.
The win marks the UK’s only gold Design Lion. Although the UK didn’t win any silver Lions in this category, UK agencies won nine bronze awards for campaigns including Magpie Studio’s Johnston centenary poster for Transport for London; McCann London’s Reality Xmas for Doctors of the World; Saatchi & Saatchi’s Magenta unleashed for Deutsche Telekom; Iris Worldwide London’s Adidas Neo Snapchat – #MyNeoLabel for Adidas; Adam & Eve/DDB and MediaCom’s Give the Rainbow for Skittles; and Ogilvy & Mather London’s Interpretation for The UCL Centre for the Forensic Sciences.
Elsewhere, Seymourpowell have won the UK’s only Product Design gold for Fairphone 2, the world’s first modular smartphone.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled