Last year Matt Groening revealed he would be creating a new adult animated series for Netflix, titled Disenchantment, and as the launch looms, he’s now shared glimpses of its characters. A Twitter account for the show, made by the creator of The Simpsons and Futurama, appeared yesterday (22 May) and shared three cropped images of characters, one bearing the unmistakable eyes of a Groening character.
The tweet simply hints at the show’s fantasy genre and premise, stating: “A princess, an elf, and a demon walk into a bar… The new series from The Simpsons creator Matt Groening, coming soon.”
The show is commissioned for 20 episodes over two series by Netflix, to premiere this year, with animation being done by Rough Draft Studios – the same studio as Futurama. It is set in a crumbling medieval kingdom called Dreamland, and follows a boozy princess named Bean, her elf sidekick Elfo and her personal demon Luci, as they navigate a world of ogres, trolls, imps and plenty more mythical characters, plus humans too.
Groening said of the series: “Ultimately, Disenchantment will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you.”
The voice cast stars Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon and Eric Andre, and features a Mighty Boosh reunion in appearances by Noel Fielding, Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher.
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Rachel Louise Hodgson’s drawings challenge traditional ideals of beauty
- Sam Conniff rouses the Nicer Tuesdays audience to Be More Pirate
- Koln Studio designs artist's catalogue using improvisation and fun
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Portfolio tips from top studios: what to leave in (and out) and how to get noticed
- The Graduates 2018: Should I get a job or go freelance?
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Erik Spiekermann brings five unfinished fonts from Bauhaus design masters to life with Adobe
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham