Mickey Mouse is pretty active for an old illustrated bloke. When he’s not commandeering Steamboat Willie, picking up litter at Epcot, or overseeing every aspect of one of the 20th and 21st century’s biggest media success stories, the helium-voiced mascot has spent much of 2018, his 90th year, working on a variety of enticing commercial propositions.
He’s appeared on t-shirts at Uniqlo, on limited edition Vans, and just this week he managed to find himself plastered all over a pair of Clarks desert boots. Yesterday it was revealed that Disney’s glove-loving head honcho has been tapped up by Polaroid to create his very own film stock and a series of Mickey-heavy frames.
“With the Disney Mickey Mouse 90th Anniversary Edition Colour 600 Film, anyone can create, and become, a true Original,” is how Polaroid are putting it. Each packet of the Colour 600 Film comes bolstered with eight of 12 possible frame designs, each of which features “Mickey character elements” meaning that the quite-shabbily-framed snapshot you took of a mate cradling a pint of Guinness at the weekend wouldn’t look out of place at Magic Kingdom.
The photos that Polaroid Original and Disney have chosen demonstrate the sheer exuberence of its new product are a bit more glamorous than the aforementioned photo of your pal in the pub. In fact, they all look a little like promo photos for barely-remembered Pitchfork buzzbands from the late-00s, which leads us to believe that Mickey Mouse was, and still is, a massive fan of Tennis, Abe Vigoda, and Smith Westerns.
The new film and frames are available to buy now.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!