Animator Nicos Livesey is known for his painstaking stop-motion animations for clients such as the BBC and Adidas, so maybe it isn’t too surprising that everyone’s favourite animated group Gorillaz have tapped him up to work the video for the latest single Tranz. The result is a psychedelic digital animation that stimulates the senses through seamlessly smooth editing and psychoactive, fluorescent backgrounds. The flowing visuals that distort yet heighten our viewing pleasure mirror the electronic tempo of yet another massive hit for Gorillaz.
Directed by Jamie Hewlett and animated by Brunch, the video is reminiscent of fuzzy-edged, 90s cartoons like Yu-Gi-Oh or Totally Spies; adding nostalgia to the list of other funk-oriented feelings experienced through viewing Tranz. Despite the fact the video was only released yesterday, Tranz has racked up over 1.5 million views bringing Gorillaz’s new album The Now Now into the spotlight.
Oh, and not to brag but we’ve been big fans of Nicos for a while now – he was one of our Ones the Watch in 2017, and we’ve even had him down to talk at Nicer Tuesdays.
- Michael Cox's latest paintings turn the artist's attention to the comfort of suburbia
- Though gothic typeface FH Fraktur may not be legible, it certainly is fun
- Da大 by Beijing-based ori.studio reimagines the format of the interview
- Erik Kessels on why he's collected 2000 records featuring large groups of people
- Ka-Man Tse photographs the marginalised lives of Hong Kong's queer community
- Tres Tipos Gráficos balances references with ingenuity in its design for printed matter
- Pentagram’s Michael Bierut talks us through his Slack brand reboot
- "Logos date like clothes": Six designers debate what makes an ideal brand identity
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Village Green talks us through its identity for the 2019 D&AD Festival
- Viviana Troya presents egg-based optical illusions in new work Hatchery