Cinema fans all over the globe eagerly await the moment that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences inform us, the film-going public, of what’s made the grade when it comes to the Oscars, and the 2019 nominations have just been revealed.
Woman of the moment Olivia Colman finds herself in the spotlight again, grabbing a Best Actress nomination for her powerhouse role as Queen Anne in The Favourite. The film’s director Yorgios Lanthimos is also nominated for Best Director, and The Favourite is up for Best Film too.
Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s A Star is Born picks up six nominations, and other heavy hitters include Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman and Netflix’s recently released, Alfonso Cuarón directed drama Roma.
It is, as you’d imagine, the animation categories that tend to excite us most here at It’s Nice That. Unsurprisingly, Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs finds itself nominated for Best Animated Feature, alongside the long-awaited Incredibles 2, and Wreck It Ralph sequel, Ralph Breaks the Internet. The group is rounded off by Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Studio Chizu’s Mirai.
The 2019 Oscar ceremony is set to take place in Los Angeles on 24 February and the complete list of nominees can be found here. Why not celebrate Isle of Dog‘s nomination by watching a Nicer Tuesdays talk courtesy of Erica Dorn, the movie’s lead graphic designer?
- Ioanna Sakellaraki explores Greece’s last professional mourners and their rituals around death
- Catalog Press is questioning what a book can be (and maybe it's made of cheese)
- Floriane Rousselot's digital platform Typelab supports and champions the work of young designers
- Photographer Theo Cottle tries to “keep an element of truth” in everything he shoots
- “Stay simple and playful”: Arnaud Aubry talks to us about making his fun and charming work
- Théophile Bartz on his fantastically hypnotic illustrations
- Led By Donkeys is crowdfunding £50,000 for “honest” No Deal Brexit ad campaign
- Taschen’s recent release celebrates “the greatest cat photographer of the 20th Century”
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!
- Suzy Chan’s portfolio boasts original graphic design, animation, typography and so much more
- Stefanie Tam’s graphic design grounds conceptual thinking in compelling visuals
- The Advertising Standards Authority has banned its first ads for “harmful” gender stereotyping