Cinema fans all over the globe eagerly await the moment that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences inform us, the film-going public, of what’s made the grade when it comes to the Oscars, and the 2019 nominations have just been revealed.
Woman of the moment Olivia Colman finds herself in the spotlight again, grabbing a Best Actress nomination for her powerhouse role as Queen Anne in The Favourite. The film’s director Yorgios Lanthimos is also nominated for Best Director, and The Favourite is up for Best Film too.
Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s A Star is Born picks up six nominations, and other heavy hitters include Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman and Netflix’s recently released, Alfonso Cuarón directed drama Roma.
It is, as you’d imagine, the animation categories that tend to excite us most here at It’s Nice That. Unsurprisingly, Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs finds itself nominated for Best Animated Feature, alongside the long-awaited Incredibles 2, and Wreck It Ralph sequel, Ralph Breaks the Internet. The group is rounded off by Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Studio Chizu’s Mirai.
The 2019 Oscar ceremony is set to take place in Los Angeles on 24 February and the complete list of nominees can be found here. Why not celebrate Isle of Dog‘s nomination by watching a Nicer Tuesdays talk courtesy of Erica Dorn, the movie’s lead graphic designer?
- Nazif Lopulissa rethinks the shapes and forms of the children’s playground
- Egg is an animation about attempting – and failing – to take control of something you are afraid of
- Why creatives should take the election advantage
- Adrienne Law on making something digital feel physical
- Kyuho Kim imagines the shapes of words in his inventive design practice
- Stomping boots and pouting lips, Taylor Silk’s woven women are icons of female sexuality
- “We want to challenge and disturb the audience”: meet graphic design studio Alliage
- Matt Willey leaves The New York Times Magazine and joins Pentagram
- Ikki Kobayashi’s new series investigates the tension between shapes and negative space
- “Perfectly beautiful things don’t attract me”: Heesun Seo on her nontraditional practice
- The Pantone Colour of the Year 2020 makes a statement about peace and communication
- Moleskine’s digital notebook and a visual inventory of Earth win Apple's Apps of the Year