Everyone who visits the It’s Nice That Studio always says, after complimenting how well the team makes a cup of tea, of course, “Wow, you lot have a lot of books here. Like, a lot of books here.” We do, and that’s because, by and large, books are bloody brilliant. Slide nearly anything between covers and you’ll likely find one of us inhaling it at a rate of knots. Obviously we do have some quality control, but the point stands: we love books.
So does pop artist don dada Peter Blake, if his contribution to the Books Are My Bags scheme is anything to go by. Launched in 2013, the series of tome-ready tote bags have previously been designed by the likes of Grayson Perry, Tracey Emin and Orla Kiely.
Blake’s typically bold design will be buyable in the nation’s bookshops from October 6, which marks 2018’s Bookshop Day, an annual event that becomes more important than ever as we see further reductions to library services under austerity politics.
Books Are My Bag’s Alan Staton says, “We are absolutely thrilled that Sir Peter has given his support to booksellers and the campaign in this way. His wonderful design will be loved by booksellers and their customers.”
Whether it’s the latest heavyweight Knausgaard hardback or a cheeky thriller you’re after, you’ve got a brand new bag to carry the big day’s spoils home in.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!