A collection of original illustrated artwork for iconic films such as Jason and the Argonauts, Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope and Episode VI – Return of the Jedi and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark will be sold at auction. The illustrations by pioneering artists including Ray Harryhausen, Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston and Norman Reynolds will also be displayed in a free exhibition ahead of the live auction by Prop Store, at London’s BFI Imax in September.
The 600 lots are expected to raise £2-3m at auction. They include Harryhausen’s hand-drawn concept of Phineas and the Harpies from 1963’s Jason and the Argonauts and McQuarrie’s original illustration of a Tatooine Skiff from Return of the Jedi, each expected to sell for £3,000 –£5,000 each.
Other works include a production drawing from Conan the Barbarian by Ron Cobb, Joe Johnston’s storyboard for Luke Skywalker in an X-wing from A New Hope, and Norman Reynolds’ concept for the chamber in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).
The exhibition will take place from 7 – 26 September at BFI Imax in Waterloo, London, with the auction taking place on the 26th, and live streamed online. Registration and bidding is open now.
A large collection of Harryhausen’s work is also currently on display at the Barbican’s Into the Unknown exhibition on science fiction.
- "A cover should mark what a magazine believes in": Riposte launch their tenth issue
- Arabella Simpson’s colourful drawings fit together like a distorted Tetris game
- Friday Mixtape: the songs stuck in Jordy van den Nieuwendijk's head
- Landfill Editions show us a bunch of its brilliant new illustration titles
- Strip clubs and bordellos: Tal R’s hypnotic paintings of sex shops from around the world
- Photographer Timothy Schaumburg takes us behind the scenes of plastic surgery prep
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- How Alex Prager made the world stop and stare
- Neville Brody launches type foundry, Brody Fonts