Samsung has released a TV advert, which directly mocks its major competitor Apple’s latest release, the iPhone X.
The one minute-long spot, titled Growing Up, tells the story of a man from 2007 as he struggles with a decade of Apple smartphones before finally “upgrading” to a Samsung smartphone in the present day.
The advert opens with the young protagonist excitedly leaving an Apple shop with his next purchase, only to be subsequently disappointed by its lack of storage as he tries to take a picture of a car packed with boxes presumably when he leaves home for the first time. The advert then follows the character over the years through a string of trouble-plagued iPhones until we see him retiring his iPhone to a drawer when he buys a Samsung Galaxy.
In the advert’s tongue-in-cheek final scene we see the man strolling past a line of people queuing for the release of the iPhone X and an iPhone fan with his hairline trimmed comically to replicate the iPhone X’s now infamous “notch”.
The advert concludes with the tagline: “Upgrade to Galaxy”.
- Photographer Louise Reinke's latest shoot is inspired by the legendary Dionne Warwick
- Photographer Eli Durst's series Pinnacle Realty challenges stereotypes of suburban America
- Grace Miceli’s bold and playful illustrations re-interpret brands in humorous ways
- Tsto returns to design Flow Festival's identity, pushing and playing with its typography
- Rosie Yasukochi's vibrant comic reflects on post-generational trauma
- Patrick Kyle's helpful advice on how to start out at illustration fairs
- "Don't drink and dance in front of your peers": ten creatives on their biggest mistakes
- All internships are not created equal: how to spot the best opportunities and have the courage to reject the duds
- Crayola launches a makeup range based on its ubiquitous crayons
- Beyoncé and Jay Z take over the Louvre for Apeshit music video
- Why counter-culture matters: Rough Trade launches publishing venture designed by Craig Oldham
- Greg Sharp animates a video that builds in momentum for the catchiest song of the year