Samsung has released a TV advert, which directly mocks its major competitor Apple’s latest release, the iPhone X.
The one minute-long spot, titled Growing Up, tells the story of a man from 2007 as he struggles with a decade of Apple smartphones before finally “upgrading” to a Samsung smartphone in the present day.
The advert opens with the young protagonist excitedly leaving an Apple shop with his next purchase, only to be subsequently disappointed by its lack of storage as he tries to take a picture of a car packed with boxes presumably when he leaves home for the first time. The advert then follows the character over the years through a string of trouble-plagued iPhones until we see him retiring his iPhone to a drawer when he buys a Samsung Galaxy.
In the advert’s tongue-in-cheek final scene we see the man strolling past a line of people queuing for the release of the iPhone X and an iPhone fan with his hairline trimmed comically to replicate the iPhone X’s now infamous “notch”.
The advert concludes with the tagline: “Upgrade to Galaxy”.
- Caterina Bianchini on her three processes when designing posters
- Friday Mixtape: illustrator pals Jan Buchczik and Timo Lenzen on their studio tunes
- B.A.M's new identity for White Cube is an “evolution rather than a revolution”
- Mosh Pit Simulator, perhaps the craziest VR game yet, launches later this month
- Fantastic Man releases What Men Wear, an anthology of male dressing in the 21st Century
- Interior Lives documents the unassimilated lives of the largest Chinese population outside of Asia
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- Betina Du Toit's naturally-beautiful images are “stripped back from the non-essential”
- Giacomo Gambineri on shifting his creative career from graphic designer to illustrator
- Hiroki Nishiyama draws on traditional graphic design techniques in his illustration practice