Samsung has released a TV advert, which directly mocks its major competitor Apple’s latest release, the iPhone X.
The one minute-long spot, titled Growing Up, tells the story of a man from 2007 as he struggles with a decade of Apple smartphones before finally “upgrading” to a Samsung smartphone in the present day.
The advert opens with the young protagonist excitedly leaving an Apple shop with his next purchase, only to be subsequently disappointed by its lack of storage as he tries to take a picture of a car packed with boxes presumably when he leaves home for the first time. The advert then follows the character over the years through a string of trouble-plagued iPhones until we see him retiring his iPhone to a drawer when he buys a Samsung Galaxy.
In the advert’s tongue-in-cheek final scene we see the man strolling past a line of people queuing for the release of the iPhone X and an iPhone fan with his hairline trimmed comically to replicate the iPhone X’s now infamous “notch”.
The advert concludes with the tagline: “Upgrade to Galaxy”.
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs their mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner