The annual Pavilion commission to design a structure to sit outside London’s Serpentine gallery has been awarded to Danish architect BIG. The company, founded by Bjarke Ingels, will design a 300sqm temporary structure that, throughout the summer months, will serve as a café during the day and host talks and events in the evening.
This year the programme is expanding its remit by commissioning four more architects to design 25sqm summer houses inspired by Queen Caroline’s Temple, a building constructed in 1734 close to the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park. The commissioned architects for the smaller projects are Asif Khan (London), Yona Friedman (Paris), Kunle Adeyemi (Amsterdam/Lagos) and Barkow Liebinger (Berlin/New York).
“After 15 years, the Pavilion programme has expanded. It now comprises five structures, each designed by an architect of international renown, aged between 36 and 93,” said Julia Peyton-Jones, Director, and Hans Ulrich Obrist, Co-Director of the Serpentine Galleries. “All projects have been thrilling to commission and will be equally exciting to realise. We cannot wait to unveil them all this summer.”
In past years the Pavilion has been designed by a stellar array of international architects including Herzog & de Meuron and Ai Wei Wei in 2012, Peter Zumthor in 2011, Frank Gehry in 2008 and Zaha Hadid, who designed the inaugural pavilion in 2000.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice