Norwegian artist and Glasgow School of Art graduate Solveig Settemsdal has been awarded first place at the Jerwood Drawing Prize. Her piece, Singularity is the first time a video has won the drawing award.
Singularity is a hypnotic short film, comprised of nine minutes of swirling white ink in gelatine. The piece is alluring in its transfiguration and is a scientific combination of two elements creating a whirling figuration relating to the process of drawing.
The prestigious competition is recognised for appreciating pieces that push the boundaries of drawing. Speaking to BBC News, director Anita Taylor explained that the collection of awarded works were “confident and lively examples of drawing today.”
Representing all disciplines under the umbrella of drawing, second prize was awarded to Anna Sofie Jespersen for Sid in Bathtub. A natural and sophisticated piece, Anna illustrates a man fully clothed while lying in the bath, using a ballpoint pen on tracing paper.
An exhibition of the award winning works will run until 23 October 2016 at the Jerwood Space in London.
- James Bannister breaks down Las Vegas’ facade of success and glamour in What Makes Grass Grow In the Desert
- Daniel Fletcher uses a playful spirit to represent the excitements and anxieties of daily life
- Brian Finke captures the contrasts in pasta production in five different cities in Italy
- Carnovsky illustrates the human body under X-ray using RGB illustration technique
- Chris Ullens directs charming stop-motion music video for Rex Orange County
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity