An exhibition curated by fashion illustration company Gray M.C.A. will bring together the textile designs of iconic artists including Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, William Scott, Alexander Calder and Pablo Picasso. Styled by Design aims to celebrate “the revolutionary relationship between the modern artists and textile manufacturers of the 20th Century post-war period” as well as contemporary designers and artists working in the same tradition today.
To be held at London’s Gallery 8 in October 2017, the show will also feature textile design work by John Piper, Zandra Rhodes, Patrick Heron and Vivienne Westwood.
Fabrics such as rayon, silk, woven wool and cotton provided a new medium for modernist artists in the post-war era, allowing them to experiment with texture and colour in new ways. The period also saw these artists working with textile manufacturers, which saw contemporary art become accessible and enter the home, as it hadn’t done previously. This show hopes to celebrate that time, comparing 40s silkscreens by Hepworth with Ascher Ltd, against William Scott’s bold 60s jacquard pieces, for example.
“As prices for modern British art spiral ever higher, collectors, curators and lovers of Modern Art have woken up to the rarity, beauty and historical importance of the textile work of the modern masters,” says curator Ashley Gray. “These rare and powerful works underline the innovative genius of both the artists and the textile producers of the post-war era. Textile departments of leading art schools are increasingly echoing the creative vision pioneered by the modern masters of textile design.”
Gray M.C.A’s Styled by Design opens from 3–7 October 2017 at Gallery 8, London, SW1Y 6BN.
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist