If you did a straw poll of what everyone here at It’s Nice That liked, no, loved, kinetic, 3D rebrands for data network companies would get a very strong showing. So imagine our delight when we were told that the Beautiful Meme — last seen attempting to change the slightly stuffy face of the City of London with a bold identity for the new Twentytwo development — had been given free reign to create such a thing for data network company, 01T.
It’s easy to pretend that the internet just works, just exists, funnelling directly into our phones, laptops, and fridges without a second thought — comforting, too, as imagining the reality of it all is a bit much for a grey Tuesday morning in mid-September. Ignorance isn’t a luxury that the team at the Beautiful Meme have been afforded in this instance however, and so their work for 01T — who specialise in literally creating connections in the worlds of gaming, pharmaceuticals, finance, and media — sees them using a brand language which “fluidly represents network cables and the mass of data transported through them.”
Founder and creative director of the Beautiful Meme, Tom Sharp, makes the point that “internet infrastructure is everywhere, under our feet, under the sea, unseen," he says. "Part of our challenge was visualising something that’s invisible.” The challenge has been met by basing the identity around the slinky simplicity of typeface, Neue Haas Grotesk.
They’ve also produced an intriguingly undulating short video too, featuring all sorts of slo-mo flows, which “reflects 01T’s focus on just one service – designing data networks from scratch.”
- “I’m a believer in form”: Geoff McFetridge on his new book of introspective drawings
- A rundown of our Nicer Tuesdays highlights of 2018
- Eight creatives from around the world tell us what made their city tick in 2018
- “Are we all avatars now?” asks digital painter Zak Keene
- Mohamad Abdouni on documenting an “important time in Arab queer culture”
- MUJI talks us through the brand’s famously minimal design aesthetic
- DIA channels NYC and gives Squarespace its signature kinetic treatment in brand refresh
- Laughing at the world of graphic design with Tracy Ma
- Alex Gamsu Jenkins’ comics remind us of how gross we really are
- Pantone's Colour of the Year 2019 has been announced and it's... Living Coral!
- The animated short giving Isle of Dogs a run for its money
- Caleb Halter's instinctual design practice produces considered and refined work