The words “art and money have always gone hand in hand” open the trailer for the Sundance premiered exposé of the contemporary art market, The Price of Everything. Directed by Nathaniel Khan and produced by Jennifer Blei Stockman, it delves into the opaque world of the movers and influencers of the art market — getting inside some of the world’s top galleries and auction houses to try and understand art’s prices, and through it the art market’s view of price and value.
Offering a unique insight into the highly dramatic and complex dynamics of how works of art are valued, inflated and collected in a world where everything can be bought and sold, it examines the role or art and artistic passion in a money-driven, consumer-based society.
The documentary features collectors, dealers, auctioneers and a broad range of artists. From current market favourites Jeff Koons, Gerhard Richter and Njideka Akunyili Crosby, to one-time art star Larry Poons, the film raises a mirror to its audience, engaging them in a dialogue about not only the art market’s values, but more broadly, our own. Can you put a price on art? How do we price the priceless? This enigmatic and exposing film looks to find out.
The Price of Everything is out now and you can see the trailer below.
- Photographer Svetlana Bulatova documents the environmental trauma of the Chechen wars
- From designer to full time artist, Caroline Walls on her gestural paintings
- Benjamin Muzzin on how digital art needs to be “shaken up badly”
- Choose Your Fighter: illustrator Kevin Sabo’s queering of hyper-masculine gaming culture
- Matthew Jones gives insight into Accept & Proceed's work for Nasa
- Illustrator Jordan Awan on fulfilling his childhood dream
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Channelling personality into branding: Commission Studio on Fenty’s new visual identity
- Does the perfect portfolio exist? Top creatives and studios offer their advice
- Droga5 unveils undulating identity for London’s newest outdoor destination, The Tide
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!