A new web-based search tool has launched which allows users to decipher films and television shows which are “tied to a person who has been accused of sexual misconduct”. Titled The Rotten Apples, the site’s goal is “to further drive awareness of just how pervasive sexual misconduct in film and television is and to help make ethical media consumption easier”.
Although The Rotten Apples has just launched, it is already extremely comprehensive noting any cast member, screenwriter, executive producer or director who has been accused of a sexual offence. Home Alone 2 is noted for example due to Donald Trump’s cameo role, television show Girls for allegations against writer Murray Miller, and of course any film with the involvement of Harvey and Bob Weinstein are noted as “rotten apples”. However films such as Star Wars, Bend it like Beckham and Jaws, to television shows such as Emmerdale, Friends and Dawson’s Creek are still safe to watch, described as “fresh apples”.
If the searched production does involve a person involved with sexual misconduct a hyperlink is added to their name to a news story “sourced from an existing article and is not a reflection of our own opinions,” the site explains.
Only launching yesterday (12 December) The Rotten Apples has understandably drummed up a huge amount of internet interest as more and more film and television industry employees are accused of sexual misconduct. The site will also continue to grow its database, asking users to submit names and an article link for productions they think are missing.
- Photographer Fred Lahache captures Morocco through the eyes of his childhood friend
- Salon de Montrouge's identity sees deep reds and pale pinks sweep through the gallery
- Artist Genesis Belanger explores the strange things that advertising conditions us to want
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Will Anderson on his Bafta-nominated animation, Have Heart
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- The Scouts rebrand aims to reflect a “more relevant image of Scouting”
- Airbnb launches new bespoke font Cereal, designed with Dalton Maag for online and offline fluidity
- Benedikt Luft's identity for Lazy represents the joyful nature of a drunken outdoor party
- Sound and vision: Parquet Courts' A. Savage on life as an artist and musician
- Photographs by a teenage Stanley Kubrick reveal the director's intuitive eye for character
- From being bad to burping glitter: things we learned at The Adobe 99U Conference