Since IKEA announced its collaboration with Virgil Abloh back in May this year, it seems like the entire (millennial) world has been waiting for a product drop. Well, ‘hypebeasts’ and those in need of a piece of the Louis Vuitton and OFF WHITE designer are in luck. A teaser for the capsule collection has dropped in the form of four rugs featuring slogans: “Blue”, “Grey”, “Keep Off”, and “Still Loading”. The rugs, first shown on Virgil’s Instagram account, went on to be sold at a pop up shop in Paris this past weekend, perfectly rounding of Paris Fashion Week’s proceedings.
“These items are made in a limited number and together with the thinking behind each rug I believe they can become art pieces you put on the wall just as much as functional objects in a home. Like, “Hey! I own this coveted piece”, Virgil Abloh explained of the collection.
The full collection will be available next year, but Virgil-fans take note: three more pop up Virgil x Ikea Markerad shops are slated to appear in three further locations — though in true Virgil style, times and places are for now fully under wraps. Watch this space.
- Meji Alabi on discovering his roots through film and music
- Stoic black cats and burning worlds: Quentin Dufour on his chaotic illustrations
- Jiří Makovec’s photographs meander between the personal and the universal
- In photographing the American west, Andong Zheng uncovers hidden traces of Chinese history
- Meet Universal Thirst, the Bangalore and Reykjavik-based foundry offering a dual perspective on type
- Manchester Girls, the new series from Dean Davies, is a visual homage to the women of the north
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories