Since IKEA announced its collaboration with Virgil Abloh back in May this year, it seems like the entire (millennial) world has been waiting for a product drop. Well, ‘hypebeasts’ and those in need of a piece of the Louis Vuitton and OFF WHITE designer are in luck. A teaser for the capsule collection has dropped in the form of four rugs featuring slogans: “Blue”, “Grey”, “Keep Off”, and “Still Loading”. The rugs, first shown on Virgil’s Instagram account, went on to be sold at a pop up shop in Paris this past weekend, perfectly rounding of Paris Fashion Week’s proceedings.
“These items are made in a limited number and together with the thinking behind each rug I believe they can become art pieces you put on the wall just as much as functional objects in a home. Like, “Hey! I own this coveted piece”, Virgil Abloh explained of the collection.
The full collection will be available next year, but Virgil-fans take note: three more pop up Virgil x Ikea Markerad shops are slated to appear in three further locations — though in true Virgil style, times and places are for now fully under wraps. Watch this space.
- Graphic designer Marie Ducrocq's future-facing aesthetics are supported by thorough research
- The poet laureate of Twitter Brian Bilston creates four new poems from Adobe Stock images
- Photographer Daniel Stier on how he transforms “cheap mass-produced things” into art
- Fragility, despair and boredom are the pillars to Madeleine Pfull’s paintings of elderly women
- Go on a quest for cheesy chips with Sarah Hingley’s choose your own adventure zine
- Western Fronts is a nature documentary that collapses into itself
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Spotify wants you to listen to more podcasts, so it's redesigned its app
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Illustrator Faye Moorhouse has made a trilogy of zines about her cat
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!