Since IKEA announced its collaboration with Virgil Abloh back in May this year, it seems like the entire (millennial) world has been waiting for a product drop. Well, ‘hypebeasts’ and those in need of a piece of the Louis Vuitton and OFF WHITE designer are in luck. A teaser for the capsule collection has dropped in the form of four rugs featuring slogans: “Blue”, “Grey”, “Keep Off”, and “Still Loading”. The rugs, first shown on Virgil’s Instagram account, went on to be sold at a pop up shop in Paris this past weekend, perfectly rounding of Paris Fashion Week’s proceedings.
“These items are made in a limited number and together with the thinking behind each rug I believe they can become art pieces you put on the wall just as much as functional objects in a home. Like, “Hey! I own this coveted piece”, Virgil Abloh explained of the collection.
The full collection will be available next year, but Virgil-fans take note: three more pop up Virgil x Ikea Markerad shops are slated to appear in three further locations — though in true Virgil style, times and places are for now fully under wraps. Watch this space.
- Food for thought on the day the Global Climate Strike begins
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!