A number of people helped us in one way or another this year, but few more than designer Ben Terrett. We were duly flattered by his words about us back in September and to be recognised by such a talent was a real and unexpected honour. Here, he shares with us his best bits from 2009.
Ben’s image from 2009, “The image was taken on a windy day when a few good friends gathered on Blackheath to fly kites. We flew kites for hours. Experts, novices and children alike. Many laughs were had, many photos were taken. Amazing fun and gorgeous colours too.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7. Moderate, becoming good in areas.
Best new discovery?
For 12 years I loved the Tube, then I cycled for a year and now I fucking hate it. Cycling around London is amazing. Quicker, cheaper and loads of fun.
What were you doing this time last year?
About to fly to Portland for Thanksgiving which is exactly what I’m about to do now (Be answered these questions on 26 November). I was also working on this.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Early on I’d stopped getting up early. Now I get up earlier.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
This by Matt Jones, there were lots of these around this year but this one has an intelligence, an elegance and an optimism not seen elsewhere:
Did you get Swine Flu?
Nope. I did the Swine Flu Skank
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Miss: I won’t know for a while. Fwd: Newspaper Club launching.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled