Having been a big fan of Johnny Kelly’s work for a while we were thrilled when he spoke as part of the It’s Nice That talks series earlier this year. A unique insight into the process of a creative you will surely hear more and more from.
Johnny’s image from 2009, “SNOW! I was able to take slices off this table like cake. I still have a snowball from that day in our freezer in fact, I’m waiting till my girlfriend least expects it, then I’ll strike.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7.5 – Plus marks for being an enjoyable and creative year. It loses the 1.5 for the whole global financial collapse debacle. Also I had to make a best man speech in front of 170 people, the scariest experience of my life so far. It went great in the end but not until after I almost upchucked my club-cut roast sirloin of beef.
Best new discovery?
Here We Go Magic have been on heavy rotation in my head and on my headphones.
Best idea was to get in touch with model-maker/illustrator Jethro Haynes to collaborate on a title sequence for a Dutch kids TV science show. We finished it last month and I’m pleased with how it turned out.
What were you doing this time last year?
I was at a film festival in Wiesbaden, in Germany. It was my first time on a festival jury and was good fun. You watch a ton of films then go to dinner and have a fight over which one should win.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Things are continually breaking within a six feet radius of me, technology in particular. Its hard to fix everything but I do my darndest.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Possibly made before 2009, but David O’Reilly’s short film Please Say Something stopped me in my tracks. Familiar yet wholly original, he has a new and fresh approach to animatiion.
Book: The Brief and Wonderful life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I’ve never related more closely to a twelve year old chubby boy from the Dominican Republic / Album: The new Cass McCombs is his finest yet, ‘Catacombs’ / Film: Moon
Did you get Swine Flu?
No. Lots of colds though.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
The ‘noughties’ was a term that didn’t gain the traction it deserved. I am looking forward to the teenzies.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled