I’m not usually one for dictionary definitions on studio sites, but I’ll make an exception for New York’s Mogollon, as it’s so ridiculously apt.. "Mogollon / (mo-go-yon) / Spanish slang word for Plenty or Abundance. Commonly used to signify “a lot,” e.g.,“I like you mogollon.” Well, dictionary, you can say that again – the amount of work on the New Yorker’s site is nothing short of terrifying. I caught up with Art Director Francisco Lopez to find out a little more.
Hi Francisco – I can’t believe that we’ve never featured Mogollon on the site before, can you tell our viewers who don’t know your work what you do in a few short sentences?
We are a design duo. We do graphics design, illustration, branding, set design, typography, animation, video and film. We like to make beautiful and iconic things, no matter what it takes. Imagination is our most powerful tool.
Tell us about a piece of work you’ve done that you’re particularly proud of…
We’re specially proud of our self promotional pieces. Right now we’re working on the image and posters for the upcoming Wooster Group performance in New York and around the world. It’s coming along very nice. We’re very proud of it. We really love to be working with such an important theater group, It is like a dream come true.
I’ve read that you set up after working together on a film for MOMA PS1 Museum in New York, there always seems to be great exhibitions there, what’s been your favourite show at PS1?
I love all the Greater New York Shows. I also loved the last Kenneth Anger film retrospective. Amazing!
What other institutions could you recommend for a trip to New york?
We love the Drawing Center in SOHO, Wooster Street and Dietch Projects. My favorite galleries in Chelsea are Matthew Marks, Barbara Gladstone, PACE, Mike Weiss, Gagosian, Andrea Rosen, Zach Feuer, Sikkema, David Zwirner, I’m sure there are others that I like, but I don’t remember their names now.
What can we expect to see from you guys next?
We’re currently working on a music video for Chateau Marmont, a poster for the Wooster Group and finishing a script for a feature film. Our dream is to direct a feature film one day. I’m sure it will happen. We both went to Art Schools for Filmmaking and Graphic Arts. We love film…
- Malika Favre talks about studying engineering, her first job and tight deadlines from The New Yorker
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs their mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner