If you missed it, here’s what’s been happening in Things so far… Whilst attempting to improve my photo skills for Things the light exploded, smoked and excreted something that worryingly started a conversation about mercury. We ran out of soap. I couldn’t find any paracetamol. Finally, the Postman has openly questioned the “nature” of our “business” and in a not so un-existential outburst cried “but what is Things?”. To which I can safely say Blesstown bobble hats, Martin Jessop’s latest zine, E-spam illustrated by the Just Us Collective, Getxo’s latest exhibtion book and Twelve’s twelve days o’christmas.
Twelve days of Christmas cards Twelve
Super nice collection of cards re-depicting the twelve days of christmas, illustrated and printed by Twelve (a happy accident, I think). A great roster of illustrators (e.g. Alice Pattullo, Matt Pell, Hattie Stewart – lords a-leaping, maids a milking, doves a-doving respectively). “Twelve sets out to launch a brand created by graduates, run by graduates, for everyone”.
e-spam Just Us
E-spam is a plague but not for the immune. Just Us collective have sent a brief out to their members inviting them to illustrate their favourite bit of spam, the result is a nifty bit of promo of engaging illustrators with nice ideas.
GETXOPHOTO design by IS Creative Studio
A book to accompany the GETOXPHOTO 2010 exhibition full of brilliant photography from the likes of Martin “Esteemable” Parr, Phil “The Reluctant Father” Toledano and Martin “I was in that place at that time” Kollar. The quality of content really is something, every image being as engaging as the last – an actual page turner!
Blesstown bobble hat and teatowel Bless Design
And not a moment too soon. Bobble hats and festive shaped shooting target-towels! When you get that yule-tide urge to kill, kill, kill but the weather outside is frightful (etc), get this bad boy on and pop a couple caps in rudolf here. No! Bless you Bless design.
People Are Stupid Martin Jessop
I have been enjoying putting the “overheard nuggets of inane-ity in the North” into context by imaging the people who said it until I got to “I was watching the Worst Witch the other day. Leeds” and wondered if I’d ever admitted to it out loud before. Then I remembered I grew up in Somerset and that Martin Jessop is probably right.
- Hexatope: the web-app utilising computational arts to make personalised jewellery
- Lucy Hardcastle on her “most progressive film to date”
- Moby Digg creates grid-based identity for finance company Baugeld Spezialisten
- Typography and National Socialism – the journey of Futura in an era of "reactionary modernity"
- Bleed combines nature and generative art to develop identity for Blank Architects
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum