Thee Drinkers is “an exploration of drinking and how we should all just try to have fun and be nice to each other.” The exhibition has a mix of works on paper, of wood and wool, and according to their author Aaron Ziggy are about “the joys, the despair, the clarity, the destruction, the dancing, the friends, the fantasies and all the things you’ve ever guzzled.”
Prior to Thee Drinkers his work has been a mix of life drawing and landscapes, floating butts, egg gifs and a Portrait of the Artist as a Bendy Man. In the exhibition Aaron has stepped back from his previous work to explore mark making and colour, “with a lot of the imagery and original ideas coming from blurry memories or sketches from silly drunken party fun times.” The show has blissfully hazy drawings of martini glasses, long drinks and beer bottles – each evocative of lazy summer holidays, dramatic spillages or just your average Thursday evening. Aaron’s drawings have the feel of both 80s club posters and 1950s editorial illustration, spliced together with a side of hand-woven rugs and expertly-crafted benches.
Thee Drinkers runs at Mercer Chance Gallery in Hoxton over the weekend.
- Greg Lin Jiajie captures stories from his “favourite place”, his hometown of Fujian
- Grotesque and playful, Tres Tipos Gráficos’ latest project is filled with personality
- Luca Mastroianni on his journey from Instagram selfies to the new Gentle Monster campaign
- Graphic designer Jacob Pardoe on collaborating with a neural network and the surprises it produces
- Call for Collaboration: Mahaneela is looking for a mixed media creative to visualise modern love
- Annu Kilpeläinen’s zine Rally 2U promises cars, sun and speed
- How Pelle Cass creates his jarring “still time-lapse” images
- Mozilla gives Firefox a new look that goes beyond the logo
- Job interviews: Pentagram, Wieden+Kennedy and Bureau Borsche on how to get them and what to say
- Apple's new typeface is available for use right now
- Say a sustainable hello to the world’s first fully compostable trainer
- Applications are now open for The Graduates 2019!